I'm Going to Japan!!

              Hello dear family and friends!

            I am thrilled to have been awarded an artist residency at the Shiro Oni Studio in rural Onishi, JapanBecause many of you have expressed interest in keeping up with my adventure I've created this blog.
            
            Ergo, I'll have the opportunity to paint every day in an idyllic rural environment with nine other artists from every corner of the world (Scotland, Canada, South Korea, Belgium, The Netherlands, etc.--I'm the only American!) as they practice their own distinctive art. The interaction and cross pollination will no doubt be stimulating inspirational--not to mention fun (sake is available!) and could lead to life-long relationships and alliances.  And just imagine that diverse group interacting with the town folk, who welcome residents because the studio is an important economic boon to the area. 

             The program takes pride in the fact that the studios were once abandoned buildings remodeled for the purpose of helping to revitalize a village that almost disappeared after the silk trade was snuffed out by industrialization. We'll all be provided with our own studio, a private bedroom, building tools, shop information and a bicycle!  We'll be introduced to Japanese rural culture and area locals including town officials, organizations, and shopkeepers. Local artisans will also lead workshops in such disciplines as Zen meditation, Japanese crafts, cooking, organic farming and a tea ceremony. The climax of the residency will be an art exhibition at the 280 year old former sake brewery in the town center, where we'll share and talk about our projects and further engage with the local community.

       I am so excited about experiencing the balance of solitude and community and the energy of working side by side with an international cohort of artists!  I know it'll expand my world view and creative perspective, inspire and motivate me, and give me lifelong memories and friends--which I'll be sharing with you via photos and journal notes. 

    “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” – Helen Keller 



  









Popular Posts