Getting Ready for the Exhibition!!!

                        Wow, it's been a busy week leading up to our group exhibit!

                         Last Saturday, a few of us spent the day teaching a cyanotype workshop for an elementary school art festival. Some very clever and organized college students created this event. It was very successful and we all had a great day with the kids.

                         We tasted a variety of treats at the tofu festival on Sunday. Sauces, pickled things and several kinds of tofu were part of the fare. My favorite was the tofu ice cream and miso donuts. Later that day, Natsuka and Hiro taught us how to make gyoza. Hiro is from Utsunomiya, Tochigi where these wonderful dumplings are considered their soul food! I did not care to know how many calories I consumed,  because I know I would have to fast for the next 5 days.

                          We had a wood block carving and printing workshop on Monday. It's a wonderful and lengthy process. I made some prints to cut up and put in my work.

                           And now.......we're in the final stages of hanging work at the main exhibition space (The Brewery) and cleaning our studios and hanging work for guests to visit through exhibition weekend. We will each give a 3 minute artist talk that will be translated to Japanese on Friday, opening night.
                             My next blog will have pictures of the exhibition. Wish us good luck!



On my walk to Kotoriya, my little bird shop studio.

Yes, they do have pumpkin tofu. It's delish!

The tofu festival was held at the tofu factory right here in little Onishi. Here's the gang with their treats.

Making Gyoza. Japanes dumplings stuffed with ground pork, onion, chives, garlic and cabbage. 

The gyoza is both fried and steamed at the same time. 

Some work I will have in Kotoriya for open studio weekend.

My favorite corner of Kotoriya.

Hanging one of two paintings at The Brewery



“Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury



                         

Popular Posts