Tokyo! Part 2

Chika and I had another full day of art and adventure in Tokyo. With a belly full of cold soba noodles and salad, we set out to explore. The day did not disappoint. Here are a few highlights....



Good morning, Tokyo. The morning after the typhoon.....windy and weird. The fecund air made me dizzy from the intoxicating smell of dumplings, sweet cakes and miso. 

Chika took me to a natural pigment store where she buys her supplies for Nihonga paintings.
http://www.yamatane-museum.jp/english/nihonga/

These colors are derived from various minerals from all over the world.

It was like being inside of a rainbow.

https://matcha-jp.com/en/94


In Japan, cats are considered good luck and bring positive energy. 

Love this. No words.

We spent much of the afternoon at the Ozu Washi Museum.
It's 360 years old and showcases ancient documents about the shop as well as gorgeous hand-made paper dresses, jackets and sculptures. We were not allowed to take pictures, alas. The museum offers paper making classes, art talks, a gallery and a shop!! I hyperventilated when I walked in the store. It is enormous and boasts hundreds and hundreds of handmade papers!



https://www.ozuwashi.net/about_ozu.html

So much paper, so little time!

Happy in my element.


     Hey, who needs to buy paper when you can make it. Next time, I will share pictures of                                   my two day paper making workshop with Tsuguo Yanai!!




      "Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." Gandhi



Popular Posts