The Typhoon Missed Us

                       Thanks, friends and family who reached out to ask if we're all ok! We had tons of rain last night. The only wind incident is when Marie and I decided to go to the 7-11 to get....provisions. A gust of wind blew my umbrella inside out. Because we are in a valley surrounded by little mountains, we are protected.

                         We are all working diligently for our exhibition at the end of the residency. The artists here are amazingly talented in many disciplines including metal work, paper cutting and video/sound. Several speak more that 3 languages....makes my baby French sound silly.

                           Indra and I are going to Takashita tomorrow to get some art supplies. I am almost out of acrylic medium and that would shut me down. Indra is from Mexico and speaks fluent Japanese. If it wasn't for her ability to translate for me at the market, I might be washing my hair with toilet bowl cleaner.

                     
I only recognize the bags of potato ships.

Our garage

Natsuka, Marie and I spent some time at this antique store. I found some wonderful paper and fabric

Little cemetary

Marie found these shirts....the logo is Onishi Junior High. We thought it would be great to wear at our Sake Club meetings

Meet wonderful Marie from Belgium! She is an illustrator and teacher. I enjoy her enormously.
Please check out her work at http://www.marievanpraag.com/


Mina is the wonderful cook who owns the Oni Cafe. She prepares one delicious meal in the morning and serves it until it is gone. Yesterday, she made miso soup, salad, string beans, cooked greens and boiled chicken breast and rice. She makes a cheesecake to die for. She also speaks English quite well and has spent time in New Orleans taking cooking classes.

Niek and I finishing up at Oni Cafe. Mina made just enough lunch for about 6 of us. 

The river that continues to inform my work

Oyasumi! Goodnight!



 “Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all of one’s lifetime.” – Mark Twain

Popular Posts